Posted: 11 Aug 2011 01:33 PM PDT
What's on in kuala lumpur in 2011
Kuala Lumpur, the literal translation meaning 'muddy confluence' is the capital and the largest metropolis of Malaysia. As Kuala Lumpur is home to intercontinental residents, festivals and events are major features of the city. Malaysia has an electrifying schedule of world class and inimitable events, guaranteeing that tourists have continual occasions to indulge in. Hotels in Kuala Lumpur are busy throughout the year welcoming tourists who come here to be a part of the festivities and events.
1. Pasir Gudang World Kites Festival takes place in February. Millions of colourful kites adorn the sky in the town of Pasir Gudang in Johor. People from over 25 countries take part in this competition.
2. Kuala Lumpur Day or the Federal Territory Day also known in Malay as Hari Wilayah Persekutuan, falls on February 1st and commemorates the anniversary of the Federal Territory configuration in 1974. A public holiday, tourists can witness the transformed roads dotted by pageants, fireworks, cultural events, expositions etc.
3. During March, the Malaysia Megasale Carnival takes place. It runs for about a month and it is a bargain hunters' paradise.
4. A local crafts festival happens in February-March and craftsmen from around Malaysia take part in it with a plan to promote and market local wares. The events include craft sales, expositions, shows, demonstrations etc.
5. Raptor Watch week happens in the month of March and it is a unique festival for aviary enthusiasts. People get to watch the migratory raptors at Tanjung Tuan journeying back after the winter.
6. Gendang Nusantara Festival held in April is a distinctive drums and percussion instruments festival.
7. The Sabah Dragon Boat Race held in June is a traditional event based on some legends that now attracts groups from many countries.
8. Malaysia's National Day on August 31st is one of the main happenings in Kuala Lumpur. This day is a national holiday and is typified by shows, processions, pageants and other civic gatherings. The processions begin at Merdeka or Independence Square with the King presiding over it. The city is lit up and many tourists throng the place to have a glimpse of the events.
9. The Chinese New Year is the most significant ethnic festival for Chinese in Kuala Lumpur. It falls on the first day of the lunar calendar, and is celebrated for 15 days. To mark the festival, there are a lot of activities, fanfare, fireworks etc. There are a lot of legends marking this festival and the colour red has a lot of significance. The 15th day of the Chinese New Year is called Chap Goh Meh and is marked by festivities.
10. The Mid-Autumn festival also called as the Moon Cake or Lantern Festival is marked by people distributing moon cakes and paper lanterns of different shapes and sizes being carried in processions.
11. Muslims celebrate Hari Raya, meaning 'Celebration Day', after a month of abstaining from food. It is an occasion marked by family get-together and festivities. Hari Raya revelry gives tourists a look into the local Malay traditions.
12. The Malaysian F1 Grand Prix happens at the beginning of the F1 calendar at the city's state-of-the-art Sepang track in the city outskirts. 13. Deepavali is a Hindu festival of lights and this is celebrated in November with a lot of festive fervour. Hindus light oil lamps and adorn their porches with it. People throng temples to seek divine blessings.
The Kuala Lumpur Water festival, Floral Festival, Malaysia Fest in September, Food and Fruit Fiesta, City Day festival, the Gawai Dayak harvest festival in June are some of the other festivals and events that occur in Kuala Lumpur through the year. Kuala Lumpur hotels offer attractive deals during the various events to attract more tourists.Full Feed Generated by Get Full RSS, sponsored by Used Car Search.
|You are subscribed to email updates from di tanjung tuan - Google Blog Search |
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
|Email delivery powered by Google|
|Google Inc., 20 West Kinzie, Chicago IL USA 60610|